Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Pioneer Day Weekend

This three-day weekend was a well-needed break. This is the first time in my life that I'm working and going to school at the same time (thanks to my parents, who made sure that I did not kill myself earlier in life), and I'm finding it to be just a little stressful. Especially when I can't study much during my job that consists of sitting at a computer for 4 hours a day and scheduling appointments. I can study if it can be done on the computer, but that doesn't help with all the books that I have to read for my history class. So this three-day weekend was a godsend!

The highlight of my weekend was watching the movie "Lady in the Water." I thought the movie was incredible! I saw the movie on Friday night with my roommates and some friends, and we all thought the same about the movie. It was a little weird, and definitely different, but with all the movies that have been coming out lately that are either cliche or reveal the entire plot through the trailers, this one was a breath of fresh - if exotic - cinematic air. I will not reveal anything about the plot at all, but be aware that it will express every emotion inside of you until it is finished. I ended up seeing it again the next night as well. Just like any good book or movie, I saw so much more in the details of the movie the second time, and the second time was just as good as the first.

I also spent a good deal of time up in Salt Lake these past few days. I love Salt Lake! Provo is a great place and all, but there really isn't that much to do here that you haven't done before. Hmmm...the same is true for Salt Lake, but at least Salt Lake is a little more exotic to someone who lives his life in Provo. I went up on Saturday evening with my roommate and some friends, and we spent a bunch of time on Temple Square. Sounds kind of corny maybe, but it was a blast. I went up again yesterday to Salt Lake with my roommate again, but this time to simply be with him as a "companion" as he met with one of his converts and her mother about church things. That was pretty cool too, as we both kind of jumped into missionary mode again to help the mother understand more about the church and her daughter's decision to be a part of it. It's fun to be a missionary again. :-)

But now it's back to normality again. I don't have classes Tues or Thurs, but I do work from 1 to 5. Mon, Wed, and Fri are kind of tough, with classes straight from 8 to 12 and work from 1 to 5. It's like a real work day, except I have a ton of homework to do when I'm not at either school or work. I'm glad the break was as long as it was, but I'm also glad to be getting back into the swing of things and earning some money. I just hope that I can stay reasonably on top of things for the rest of the time this term.

No comments: