Thursday, July 27, 2006

The confusing world of Modern Islam

One of the classes that I'm taking is a Western Civilization course (Hist 201), and my professor for that class is having us read a terrific book entitled The Ornament of the World: How Muslims, Jews, and Christians Created a Culture of Tolerance in Medieval Spain. Ornament is very much a history book, but the history that it describes so poetically is one that I had heard of only once, in a passing moment by my Spanish professor about some architecture in medieval Spain. I am only 60-some-odd pages into the book, but I have been fascinated so far by it. I have never very much enjoyed the subject of history. I believe my dislike of the subject is due to the constant references to unknown names of people and places - it's very hard on the memory to keep those things straight. On top of the memory issue, the names of places change every dynasty or so! It can be a very confusing, frustrating venture.

This book, however, has not only captured my attention and my thirst for knowledge, but also has caused me to reflect and ponder on the plethora of problems that are plaguing the Middle East right now (how's that for alliteration?). The Wed. lecture of my History class covered the basics of Islam and the empire that rose from Muhammad. I admit, even though I understood that my opinion of Islam was a processed one that I had developed due to the media, I still felt a little biased against the religion as we began the class. I soon realized that what I understood to be Islam was something much different than what I was learning to be the true religion of the followers of Muhammad. Islam is meant to be a peace-making religion, one that promotes honesty, integrity, and morality. It was also a war-making religion and empire - but one cannot create peace without war. The peaceful side of Islam is plainly visible in the society of Al-Andalus (Medieval Iberian Spain) where Muslims, Christians, and Jews lived side by side underneath the Islamic polity of the time. The Christians and Jews were also not viewed as inferiors, as each religious body had members of their own serving in governmental and administrative positions. It was a harmonious blend of the three cultures (especially if you look past the eventual civil unrest between the Muslims themselves).

So now I wonder: why do the modern Muslims seek violence and domination in the name of Islam? Now, before anybody bristles too much, I understand that my statement is quite general and somewhat bigoted. I actually kind of meant it to be that way. But the question still holds much of its validity through the inherent bias: why do so many of the Middle Eastern world desire the domination of the Christian and/or Jewish world, in the name of Islam? I read today on CNN.com that the Al-Qaeda second in command released another tape, urging Muslims around the world to fight for the dominance of the Islamic religion and to seek Islamic control "from Spain to Iraq," all in the name of jihad. I learned in lecture that "jihad" orginally meant "striving (in the path of God)" and only became associated with "holy war" during the Crusades! How have things strayed so much?

Dr. Cooper, my professor, was asked the same question that I posed at the beginning of the last paragraph. He stated that if he could answer that question, he would be the most popular and famous history professor in the world. Things have changed so much across the world in the past two millenia; how can we expect any kind of tradition (such as religion) to survive intact for so long? The version of Islam that is propagated by Al-Qaeda and other such peoples is far removed from the one set down by the Prophet Muhammad. A greater Muslim understanding of their own religion would no doubt curb much of the animosity they feel toward those of other faiths - but alas, truth is not to be found so easily in a culture such as theirs. Even ours (as Latter-day Saints) required the intervention God the Father and Jesus Christ themselves and a living Prophet to set things right. Perhaps patience and love are the best replies to modern Islam...or maybe a more assertive response is more appropriate? I suppose that depends on your own political-moral outlook. And that is just another source of confusion.

No comments: