Thursday, November 05, 2009

Song of the Week

Every now and then I find a song that just sticks in my head and screams for me to play it on my iPod nearly nonstop. That unsatiable desire sometimes lasts for about a week. My love affair this week is with Owl City's "Fireflies". It has been playing itself over and over in my head and on my iPod. I just find it incredibly catchy and (dare I say) cute - it talks about fireflies giving hugs! And dancing!

Anthony, you can lower your eyebrow now.

It's just a nice little something different from my standard Lifehouse and Coldplay playlists. The rest of the album - most of which you can listen to on their website - isn't bad, especially if you're into electronic and/or dance music. And the lyrics are all pretty good! But the single "Fireflies" is probably enough for me to buy right now, although I kinda like "Hello Seattle". As a whole, Owl City has a quasi-video game quality to it (being synthesized) that pulls me back to my childhood when I played Nintendo and Sega Genesis. Nowadays the video game music is practically orchestrated, but thanks to Owl City I can re-experience the good old days.

*sigh* How can I resist music that does that?

On a different note, I'm coming down with something ghastly that's causing a sore throat. Aaaack! And I have to sing my solo in the Bach Mass in B minor on Monday and Tuesday! I'm trying to deal with it on my own: drinking tons of water (and having to go to the bathroom way too often), gargling salt water, and getting plenty of sleep. Well...at least trying to get plenty of sleep.

I'm also chugging along with NaNoWriMo. I was up to par on my word count last night, and now I need to get to typing to keep up with my 1,667 words today. It looks like victory could be a possibility!

4 comments:

taborer said...

I've been listening to "Fireflies" too. I blame Rachel for introducing it to me.

Hugh said...

It looks like that guy has a firefly in his sore throat...

navajotwin said...

How did you know my eyebrow was raised?!? That was just creepy...

Ashley Bybee Stepp said...

Chinese remedy that worked while over there: grade some ginger and add it to a glass of coke. Then, boil the coke in a microwave and drink it hot. Don't burn yourself, though. It sounds weird but that's what the Chinese would give me whenever I would start to get a scratchy voice or a cough while working on the Yangtze.